Bayer CropScience (BCS), a subgroup of Bayer AG is one of the world's leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and traits. The company offers an outstanding range of products and extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture and for non-agricultural applications. Bayer CropScience has a global workforce of 20,700 and is represented in more than 120 countries.
Bayer’s corporate culture is an important factor in the company’s success. Central to this culture are our values: Leadership, Integrity, Flexibility and Efficiency, summarized by the term LIFE. They provide us with guidance for our daily work as we seek solutions to the major challenges of our time, in line with our mission statement Bayer: Science For A Better Life". Head of Site IV AI Plant (SFP) The Head of Site IV is responsible for a large and technically challenging production unit at the BCS Kansas City manufacturing facility. This is a senior level role that has responsibility for 120 direct or indirect reports. The incumbent is part of the site leadership team.
The incumbent will:
• Ensure that production targets are achieved in a safe, environmentally responsible, and cost effective manner;
• Lead, manage, coach and mentor employees to foster their professional development, promote increased accountability and to improve overall unit performance;
• Develop staffing and headcount projections and ensure that employees with critical skills are available in sufficient number when needed to meet business needs;
• Manage team to support the high performance work culture; ensure that unit personnel are trained adequately and work closely with the HR department to maintain consistent administration of personnel policy within area of responsibility and across the site;
• Drive continuous improvement in all areas within the SFP, including operational, occupational and personal safety; ensure compliance with Bayer internal QHSE requirements and site specific procedures; champion and lead the Employee Safety Process (ESP) within areas of responsibility; participate on the RCMS/QHSE Committee; and lead plant emergency response efforts during emergencies and crises;
• Create, maintain and adhere to budgets for area of responsibility; define and plan mid-term capital expenditure requirements for plant infrastructure; prioritize capital projects for the coming budget year;
• Collaborate with internal stakeholders to ensure that product is available on time and in sufficient quantities to meet customer demand and internal targets.
The selected candidate is required to possess the following:
• A bachelor’s degree in chemistry or chemical engineering is preferred for this position; a master’s degree is a plus. A bachelor’s or master’s degree in another engineering/scientific field and extensive experience in plant and operations management in the chemical industry are also acceptable;
• A minimum of fifteen years’ experience in chemical, petrochemical or pharmaceutical manufacturing is required for this position. At least five years of this experience must have included direct supervisory responsibility for professional, salaried and hourly employees;
• Solid technical skills, including the ability to understand all applicable process technology, equipment, unit operations, and control technology are essential;
• Strong leadership skills, including the ability to drive change, maintain accountability, and to model the Bayer LIFE (Leadership, Integrity, Flexibility, and Efficiency) values is essential;
• Experience in a facility that is covered by OSHA process safety management standard is required; experience in process safety hazard identification, analysis, and mitigation is a plus;
• Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written are required. Cross-cultural competency and international work experience are strong pluses for this position.